Sunday, August 14, 2011

East Africa Day 85 (Sat Aug 6): Daraja

I woke up this AM, checked out of my banda, and stopped by the Dougherty's house to check on Tusker. He spent the night on a mattress in the hallway of the house, on the main floor. I found Jenni sitting with him. He looked much better. It was nice to get to catch up with Jenni some more, and hear about what she is working on. She thanked me for the work product that I'd produced for them, back when I was on campus earlier this summer. It was so nice to hear that it has been helpful! I am so proud to have been able to be even a small part of this community.

I then headed to the dining hall, where I had a breakfast of pancakes and a banana. yay for a weekend breakfast at Daraja:) Pamela was in the the dining hall also eating breakfast. I checked out the new Daraja students bulletin board, and photographed the posters made by the students who took the AIDS/HIV class. They were hanging on the wall in the dining hall, next to the fireplace. Very nice!!!

On my way out to the gate, to meet up with the volunteers who had called a taxi to take them into town, I ran into Teacher Charles. He was on his way into town, and we made plans to meet up in Nanyuki. I was so happy to see him! I had fun in the taxi, on the way into town. Four volunteers in the back of a small sedan, and Pamela up front. It was cozy!

When we got into town I went to the Boloungerie for old time's sake, and saw John and Steve. I had my veggie burger for a late AM breakfast/early lunch, and hung out with Pamela and the other volunteers for a while. Unfortunately I couldn't reach Maria and Bennett, who are now living in town, but I got to hang out with Teacher Charles for a little bit. He walked me over to the matatu stage, and helped me get a very comfortable matatu bound for Nairobi. I think I waited maybe 20 minutes for it to depart, which gave me some more time to catch up with Charles.

The ride back felt very long. We got stuck in some bad Nairobi traffic, beginning on the outskirts of the city. The matatu driver let me jump out early, once we were back in the city, before we got to our final destination. I was happy to be back on my feet. Once I got back to the apartment, I fell into bed. Long day of travelling!t

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.