Tuesday, August 17, 2010
Free Condoms for College Students :: Apps due Sept 1.
College students - apply to be a distribution point, known as a SafeSite, for free condoms for your peers.
Why is this important?
* In 2009, 62.3% of high school seniors had sex. As a country, 95% of people have had sex before they get married.
* In 2009, 39% of high school students did not use a condom during last sexual intercourse.
* Every year, there are about 19 million new STD infections in the US. Almost half are among youth 15-24.
* 61% of students who have a child after enrolling in a community college drop out before finishing a degree or credential. 48% of all community college students have been pregnant or gotten someone pregnant.
* In this economic crisis, family planning centers are struggling to meet the increasing demand for contraceptive services.
Yep. It’s that serious. In addition to educating their peers about safer sex, SafeSites also do advocacy work on sexual and reproductive health issues such as contraceptive access, comprehensive sex education, GLBTQ issues and more.
For more information about the Great American Condom Campaign and to apply to be a SafeSite, go here. Keep up with the Campaign on Facebook.