I LOVE this ... a German couple started a website directory for stars and their causes. The site contains articles and videos, and is searchable by star or cause. Though it's missing one of the biggest activists I know, Brett Dennen, I'll still say that this is an amazing website!
The current featured video: Sarah McLaughlan ASPCA Silent Night commercial --
One of the site's partners is Athlebrities, which covers athletes and their causes. Both websites, Look To The Stars, and Athlebrities, are regularly updated with new stories, photos, and videos. Awesome!!!!!!
The blog recently covered Pheonix Sun's Amare Stoudemire's trip to Sierra Leone, West Africa on behalf of his foundation Each 1, Teach 1, and the Zee Community Development Foundation, to help build water wells.
Check out this video from Stoudemire's trip --
Also check out Look to the Stars' partner, The Giving Back Fund. They provide philanthropic endeavor assistance to the sports and entertainment communities.
Another philanthropic related organization is the Hollywood Note Foundation. HNF was founded by a very interesting woman, Shelly Preston. She applies her 13 years of experience in the entertainment industry, as well as her experience producing award galas for non-profits, to her organization HNF, which raises funds from the Hollywood community, for charitable causes. One interesting HNF service is an annual awards event, that recognizes celebrity philanthropists.
Then, there's the company, the Green Room, that helps non-profits connect with celebrities, prepare and distribute gift bags into the hands of celebrities, etc. They are involved with some very high profile events, including the Teen Choice Awards, and a private party with David Beckham and LA Galaxy.
Also check out this celebrity auction website, Charity Folks.com. It's basically a clearing house (Ebay of sorts) for celebrities who have offered something up for auction, with the proceeds going to charities. For example, one of the items up for bid at the moment is lunch for you, and your child, in Los Angeles, with High School Musical star, Corbin Bleu. The current bid is $1,700, and benefits Artists for a New South Africa. According to their website, "in addition to nonprofits, Charity Folks partners with corporations to auction exclusive product and otherwise unavailable items and experiences, enabling them to leverage connectivity to high-profile people and events, showcase community support, generate tremendous publicity and create positive "halo" around their brands."
I got the idea for this post from an E: Environmental Magazine article, "E's Top 10 eco Celebs." This story mentions Look to the Stars' website.
Celebs profiled include:
* Ed Beagley, Jr. - reality TV show "Living with Ed" on HGTV.
A sample episode --
* Leonardo DiCaprio - The 11th Hour.
* Jackie Chan - PSA for Wildaid, water purification system for Hong Kong, built "Green Great Wall" in China, Environmental Culture Ambassador for the Chinese State Environmental Protection Association.
* Harrison Ford - Donated 400 acres of his Jackson, WY homestead to the Jackson Hole Land Trust, in the form of an easement, vice-chair of Conservation International's Board of Directors.
* Ted Danson - founded the American Oceans Campaign.
* Dominic Monaghan - spokesperson for Project Last Stand, a project of The Elephant Head Group.
* Daryl Hannah - vegetarian, created Sustainable Biofuels Alliance with Willie Nelson, has an eco-based webTV show, DHlovelife.
A sample episode --
* Robert Redford - the Sundance Resort and Institute in UT, the Redford Family Nature and Wildlife Preserve on 860 acres, fought for 20 yrs to protect 1.7 million acres of the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument (UT) from development, "The Green" on the Sundance Channel.
* Carole King - Alliance for the Wild Rockies partner, lobbying for Northern Rockies Ecosystem Protection Act.
* Maggie Gyllenhaal - judge for Climate Matters Video Contest.