A study conducted by the National Retail Federation and BIG Research found that online video-game ads, blogs and text messages are gaining influence with consumers, particularly among the 18- to 34-year-old demographic.
For those 18 - 34, the study found that:
* Online video-game ads influenced 14% of electronics purchases.
* Blogs influenced 11% of electronics purchases.
(These figures outrank outdoor billboards and satellite radio.)
* Text messaging influenced 9% of electronics purchases.
* Text messaging influenced 6% of clothing purchases.
Source: "Emerging Media Increasingly Inform Shoppers' Choices"
Can video games be used to educate and inform consumers, and not just to push products? A few video games aim to do just that:
* Ocean Survivor
* Green My Brain
* Eco Quest
Interestingly, the study results led the researchers to conclude that more attention should be paid to word of mouth (public relations), and in-store experience (customer service), because:
* Word of mouth influences 44% of electronics purchases.
* Word of mouth influences 34% of clothing purchases.
* Articles or product reviews influenced 37% of electronics purchases.
* Articles or product reviews influenced 12% of clothing purchases.
Seems like old school relationships, face-to-face interactions, and kindness still rule the day! EXCELLENT news for cause marketers:)